IHMP History

  • In 1964, the Archbishop of Manila, decided to divide the Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish (SHJP) in Kamuning, Quezon City because it was too large a parish.

  • The southern area between Quezon Avenue and EDSA, QC was to be retained by the SHJP and the northern part was later on made into a new parish, the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, which is under the administration of the Congregation of Missionaries, Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish commonly known as Claretian Missionaries. They were founded by the St. Anthony Mary Claret in Vic, Catalunya, Spain on July 16, 1849 with 5 other priests. The first Claretian Missionaries arrived in the Philippines of December 26, 1946.

  • In 1967, the Claret School of Quezon City was set up by the Claretian Missionaries at their newly acquired property in UP Village.

  • The Auditorium of Claret School was converted into chapel in which daily masses could be said until a parish church can be built. Later on the parish (IHMP), as a unit of the Archdiocese of Manila (no church building yet) was officially inaugurated on a Sunday , September 7,1969.

  • The IHMP church was conceptualized and designed by National Artist for Architecture Leandro V. Locsin in 1969. Its place of worship is located around 4 meters above the ground. The space created below the church is used as offices and function rooms. From an aerial point of view, one can clearly see the shell motif and shape of the Church. It looks like the shell “Budyong.” Looking at the roof and its shape from the ground, the church looks like a “salakot” (a traditional wide-brimmed hat from the Philippines).

  • May 3, 1970 was the laying of Church cornerstone.

  • On May 1972, the first mass was held at the IHMP church while the construction was still in progress.

  • And on May 27, 1977, the Church was inaugurated.

  • The Images of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Filipiniana dress, Risen Lord and the Tabernacle were designed and created by an internationally renowned Spanish Claretian sculptor, Fr. Segundo Gutierrez, CMF.